Exploring the beauty of Shillong
Shillong, a beautiful hill retreat in India is popularly known as the Scotland of the East. It has some beautiful cascading waterfalls and undulating hills that make for the most stunning sights. Another interesting fact about Shillong is that the weather here is quite unpredictable. There might be unforeseen arrival of shower, and throughout the day the rain and the sunbeam keeps playing hide and seek. Also, there are several interesting places in and nearby Shillong, we will tell you our pick of the top 5 places.
1. Shillong Peak: Situated at a height of 1965 meters above sea level, Shillong Peak offers the spectacular view of the city. If you are lucky and are here on a day when there’s no cloud, you will be able to take in the beauty of the Himalayan peaks and the Bangladesh plains from here. Also, this is an ideal picnic spot for families, with the mesmerising mountains in the backdrop.
2. Elephant Falls: The Three Steps Waterfalls was named Elephant Falls by the British, after they saw a stone resembling an elephant near the waterfall. The ideal time to visit Elephant Falls is during monsoons as the rainy season brings more life to the waterfalls. Since the falls are in close proximity to the Shillong Peak, you can cover both the places in a single day.
3. Lady Hydari Park: The park got its name from the first lady of the state, the wife of the Governor of Assam. The park is spread over an area of more than a kilometer, and is a combination of a zoo, a deer park and a play area. If you want to spend a quiet evening after a day of travelling, you can head to the park with your family or friends.
4. Police Bazar: The most popular market place in Shillong, Police Bazar is not as quiet as rest of the parts of the city. Here you can shop for handicrafts, artifacts and clothes, and taste some of the finest delicacies of Shillong. In terms of stay options, there are plenty of hotels at Police Bazaar in Shillong where you can get rooms at reasonable prices.
5. Umiam Lake: Located just 15 kilometer from Shillong, this beautiful lake is a hidden treasure. Popular for water sports including Kayaking, Water Cycling, Scooting and Boating, Umiam Lake is frequented by locals and travellers alike. If you are in Shillong, you must pay a visit to the lake.
Since it is a peak season to be in Shillong, you should make reservation at one of the hotels in Shillong beforehand and head here for a memorable getaway.